Truck route planning and optimisation is a challenging task which, if done wrong, can have expensive consequences. A wrong turn could mean a big increase in distance travelled which means increased fuel consumption, costs and carbon emissions. A badly planned route could result in a large vehicle making its way through a small town with heavy traffic, resulting in long delays. Finding a way to avoid such issues is invaluable to transport operators, drivers and of course the customers awaiting deliveries and collections.
The importance of well-planned, accurate routing should not be underestimated. Some roads may be too small for a truck to navigate. Others might suit an empty truck fine but should not be used by a truck with a full payload. Conversely, a truck navigating a steep incline may require a certain amount of weight to gain traction whereas an empty truck, which cannot gain traction, may not make it to the top.
Main benefits of planning truck routes:-
- Reduce inefficiencies that can cause the need for increased fuel consumption and staff overtime
- Real-time information on available capacity, for better future planning and problem resolution
- Know where your vehicles are and when they are expected back
- Managing costs and minimising risks
- Lowering your transportation business carbon footprint
- Improved customer experience, as you’ll be able to provide expected time of arrival
- Having a standard planning process saves time
Don’t take a wrong turn, plan routes accurately.
To learn how OptaHaul is helping companies to plan, visualise and optimise truck routes get in touch today.